School and university students, amateur as well as professional video gamers and hordes of YouTubers created a buzz at the VGX Event that took off on June 19 at the Expo Centre, Sharjah. The exclusive gamers’ meet is being organised by FUNN, the Sharjah-based organisation that promotes and supports media arts learning for children and the youth in the UAE. The event will run till June 21, from 9:00 am to 2:00 pm and 4:00 to 9:00 pm. However, the timings will be from 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm on June 21, Friday.
On the first day, VGX Event showcased an array of workshops for all ages. The programme. which will be available on all days, include:
- ‘Viruses Attack’, an interactive workshop aimed at children aged 6 – 12 years to educate them about safety in video gaming to protect them from the dangers of electronic crimes.
- ‘Create Your Favourite Character’, an arts and crafts session for children which teaches them to design their own video game characters.
- ‘Photography Games and Tricks’, an interactive workshop where attendees will be taught to explore and try out various tricks and games to take creative and artistic pictures.
- ‘Sensor Games’, a workshop on kinetic energy and how you can play video games handsfree without using controls.
- ‘Electronic Crimes’, a session for ages 13+ to raise awareness about the risks of electronic crimes through video games and how to play safe.
- ‘Game Design as a Career’, a presentation on game design as a professional career. Trainees will be taken through the stages of designing a game, and learn the entire process first-hand.
The session will include the history of game design, modern games era, virtual reality games, the process of game design, different stages of game design, and game design as a profession. The aim of the event, the first of its kind to be held in the emirate of Sharjah, is to tap the popularity of video games among children and young people and use it to benefit them by increasing their creativity, intellectual skills and stimulate lateral thinking.
Sheikha Jawaher bint Abdullah Al Qasimi, Director of FUNN and Sharjah International Children and Youth Film Festival, said, “We are happy that VGX Event is being received with such enthusiasm by its target audience. The educational and entertaining workshops cover all aspects of gaming with a hands-on approach that bring the participants up-to-date about the latest trends in this creative industry.”
She added: “We are committed to empowering the children and youth of Sharjah and the UAE with the best of relevant skills and training in all fields. Video gaming too plays a prominent role in character improvement through puzzles and games that involve problem-solving and require logical communication.”
Beginners and experienced professionals will be able to access the latest versions of games. FUNN aims to nurture a future generation of creative artists in the media and film industry, and promotes new media works and films made by children and young filmmakers in the UAE at international film festivals and conferences worldwide. Its larger goal is to foster talent through these festivals, conferences and workshops locally and internationally.